Monday, October 6, 2008

Seeing the World in Plaid

Oh! Ye'll take the high road, and I'll take the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye,
But me and my true love will never meet again,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.
-Chorus, Loch Lomond (Traditional)

Romantic Traditions tells the story of two soldiers during the Jacobite uprising of 1745. After the battle of Carlisle, these two soldiers were captured by the British army. One was scheduled to be executed, while the other's life was spared. Upon looking at his bleak future, the soldier who's life was forfeit began to sing, and sung these, now, famous lines. It shares the belief that a Scot's soul, no matter where killed, will take the low road, underground, (buried and all it's a tad bit easier) back to Scotland.

I hope for this future! My Great, Great Grandfather, Alexader Mair, immigrated from the emerald green hills of Gaswater, Ayrshire, Scotland. He left with a few of his siblings, mother, and extended family to come to Utah. He settled with his family in the Heber Valley, and they have been there ever since. The one thing, above all else, that has been passed on through the generations has been a deep reverence and pride for the name Mair and all things Scottish! Also, the sacrifice of leaving everything one knows for the truth!

I am proud of my Scottish heritage and also of the sacrifices my ancestors made for me! Thank-You, and in time, I will take the low road.

Jason

0 comments: